They always say that we should listen to our heart and leave the rest on the universe. Well, they are mistaken. And they don’t even know how. Cheesy enough!
The thing is in way a rant of a frustrated student. If one do not agree with this, feel free to provide constructive criticism with reasons.
Reasons as to why you shouldn’t be in this College! Here’s a Thing that I wrote about Nirma! Frankly, I hate the place!
With the sucking (quite literally) heat/coldness of Ahmedabad and six back to back boring and over the top lectures, the day of weekday came to a halt. All I could hear after these two days is…
Is this what I really want to do?
This place is boring.
I did not expect it to be so bad man!
And all I could say was, ‘I know that feel girl!’
Yes I did, at least from the time (maybe because it’s time that I joined the college) and so I came up with “some” points (extremely subjective) as to why one should not be in this college!
For the Irony of life!
Just as you enter the gate [The university spent a very high amount in the construction of its new gate (rumour claims it to be a whooping 1 crore rupees!)] of the college, you are welcomed by lush green trees with blossoming gardens. The sun shines brightly above your head and there’s this ‘feel’ as we call it while walking with your bag, full of exactly two books and a single use and throw pen. There seems no better place for the illusion of a beautiful nature that is created within the campus. But soon, you see gloomy faces all around. Specs clad students walking with pace that would sure give Usain Bolt a complex. No doubt the girls look as pretty as they ever would but the suffocating air that surrounds you, gulps you and you soon see yourself marching with the zombie army with your beard growing with the day!
For the toothy smile of your lecturers
For the whole day then, the classes change, the subjects change, the people sitting beside you change but, two things remain constant-
1. Your boredom and sleep.
2. Your lecturers. Yes their faces and accent does change but that doesn’t make much of a difference.
It rather shocks me as to how someone can modulate their voices and go on speaking so efficiently for an hour at a stretch without giving in to the drowsy, innocent faces of their students.
The day starts with the face of a heavy moustached man with vanishing hair and continues with a woman in punjabi dress and inaudible voice. A thin man then drops your jaw with his “Hinglish” and the jaw still hangs in disbelief with another man’s extremely polished English! Because they want you to be an “All-rounder”… Yes, a wannabe professional has to study Electrical Technology and Ethics & Values and Communication Skills (Not that I am complaining about the latter two, they just made my life much more interesting). And yes one needs to gorgeously mug up the huge ‘reference books’ in a worry that his classmate would overcome his hard-earned pointers! But ultimately, they turn you into a Horse! Sure enough one of you would have ridden a horse at least once in their life. And most of you must have noticed the blinkers that surround his/her eyes so as to restrict his/her vision only to one straight direction.
Some totally not properly planned crazy rules. Some (many!) things seem wrong to me.
1. Unnecessarily spending money on making the campus more and more beautiful, especially when that money could be used for a lot of productive activities like buying new instruments, research grants, Entrepreneurship, organizing seminars, etc.
2. The orthodox beliefs of the management. They shares a belief that a student needs to ‘taught’. More emphasis is being laid on ‘teaching’ them, than to help them learn. They need to be reminded that, A man can’t be taught, he can only learn from his mistakes.
3. Very much reflected in the 85% compulsory attendance rule.
Option A Below 85%? – Write papers (which people generally manage to copy in a day’s time and which contributes 0% to our academics)
Option B Below 60%? – Detained! (You have a genuine reason for such less attendance? Either you are ill, got hit in an accident, or anything else, you have to manage all that in just 15%. That’s just ridiculous. They won’t consider any medical certificate. Nobody gives a Damn! No one listens. No one cares. You have just ruined your career!)
I would like to refrain myself over talking much about this because almost everyone of us would have at least days of debate on this already. They should realize that attendance do not make us a good engineer or professional. It simply makes you a good student which doesn’t usually gets extended to a good engineer or professional. Institute doesn’t want to accept this simple fact. Plus, Institute hasn’t been able to put forward substantial proofs of the compulsory attendance had made a significant improvement in one’s performance. It’s just a hollow law imposed upon us, and we are here twisting into its wild clutches. If Institute is thinking that the learning atmosphere is pretty good and attendance is justifiable, they should come and have a look at the classes after the attendance being frozen. There are just handful number of students, though I have no intention to pin-point at them and I seriously respect their sincerity. But what about others? Why they have to come everyday, attend every lab and tutorial (Because, you are allowed to bunk only one lab or tutorial to make you fall in the above 85 bracket. Compulsory 85 in every component rather than average is yet another completely stupid rule) Physical attendance should not be confused with mental presence. One cannot compel thyself to attend this/that forcefully! While, the sincere students still remain sincere, the careless student doesn’t even care anyway. That sums it up why this rule is ineffective. Adding more to it, great professors don’t need the compulsory attendance to attract students in their classes, people will still flock to them if they are providing quality education. Come on, man.. we have come with a decent score, we are at least responsible enough and adequately concerned about our own future. So, Please! A good theoretical idea!
4. The hierarchical structure of the institute (management) directly contradict from the statement which they have hung in the Management building which states “There is no pleasure earned, without much pain”. A student with good motives find it hard to get things done. People often do not care about good initiatives. They just want to cover their official part of duty. Of course, they are right to do their duty. But I think the rules need to be changed. A college should to be more flexible as by the definition itself, it has to create a learning environment, not to hamper it.
5. Permission required to play in the courts, playgrounds. That’s not only the end of it. You can only play in the time span specified by them. Your college and your grounds, and yet, you need permission to enter! Make them free yaar!! Everyone want to play!
6. The Power Points picked up from the internet. Download of .exe files blocked. Why in the world, one can’t install a simple software? Free WiFi – everything blocked! What the hell are we supposed to do with Google homepage and Wikipedia? And what the hell are you providing for free? Every signal jammed! Vehicles in campus not allowed. If you construct your college far away from the city, even out of the reach of a proper public transport, how can you ban hostel residents to keep vehicles? Not a single management institute has this kind of a ridiculous rule. Students pay more than 50,000 INR per semester to watch NPTEL videos. Freedom (of anything) – don’t ever even dream of it! If institute really want the international standards and environment that top universities possess then freedom is an integral part of it. creativity cannot sprout if there is no freedom. They just forget that it’s a free country. A truly “technical” institution for you, folks!
7. Realize the placement companies mentioned in the website are truly hilarious. The eligibility bar set crashes the dreams of all others where many 6 pointers are way better than 9 pointers! Some are don’t even know about this!
8. The assignments/projects submission policy: Now want to remain away from the names (of faculties, of course!) but this is plain truth of what some of us went through. Sometimes you have to work with people you don’t even look at, just imagine the poor soul’s condition! Their archaic standards to compare students. They will judge you solely upon your pointers. That judging, is where the whole problem lies. You’re treated as a scumbag if you don’t get the pointers. On one hand, institute want us to submit work/projects on time, while never providing necessary guidance as to how to do that work. Knowing the truth about something is far more important than getting things done.
9. Why does one have to make a register entry at entry gate even having ID card? That too every time on making an entry or exit? The sheer number of ridiculous rules due to them, the number of times I felt rage boiling down inside me was large enough. No wonder, I won’t hesitate in refusing to help the institute in any way, if ever asked.
10. The quality of professors/lectures and management’s inattention towards the recent faculty drain and some reputed professors have left the college. The new ones don’t know much. Frankly, I simply fail understand why the faculty knowledge level is so low. They are being paid above 50K, and for what? Most of them can’t even write and successfully compile a code. Faculties being hardly available to your personal help or pleas (because they are always roaming around the campus or might be busy on their laptops, doing something I seriously don’t know what?!), you can get a feel of it being a government office than a college. Come across faculties who will go to all sorts of lengths to help you in your pursuit and even those who wouldn’t bother to do a Google search about some topic and rather say “Don’t ask me – I don’t know”! When this is the way a student is treated in the Institution, how does one expect him/her to be innovative and change the community. Never asked for a kidney. All I asked was to give me a chance to say. If I were a faculty, that would be the most insulting phrase for anyone to utter let alone do it myself! Damn it! just a curious soul and want to know from you I know there is a thing called Google exists. Had no help from the faculty or the deans. Amidst the chaos of the rules no one knew which applied how and when and where. For student like me, the hardest part has been sitting throughout the lecture and listening to a person, who for most of the part doesn’t understands what he is actually talking about. Sometimes I feel as if I could have in fact learned better, had I given the same time to a YouTube tutorial instead. A teacher cannot afford to be confused. He may not know certain things, and that is okay, but at least I expect to learn a certain basic concepts from him. It doesn’t makes sense if have to go home, unlearn what has been taught and again relearn the same from online sources. Because, I am a student and hope that stay a student as I learn much more when I teach than when I was being taught.
11. Caterers – Laziest people on earth! Want to experience a tour of mumbai locals in Institution? Come to K block during break-hours. Because, canteen not less than a fish market and filled with students. You cannot celebrate birthdays, cannot make announcements and you cannot find food all the time! Another British rule! Its come to a stage where some of our elders have really become far more immature than us.
12. The Institution is filled with students. Its difficult to find some privacy, Space crunch where one can sit and think. ‘Innovators/creators’ need to sit alone and think. As rare as they are, even if there is one in the college, unfortunately, he/she doesn’t have the ‘time’ or ‘space’ to do so. Are we left with enough energy to innovate and be creative after so much work? (One have to spent 10 hours of a day receiving and recovering from your college education!) Depends on an individual’s capacity but in general most people can’t!
13. And there are many more! Would love to mock at all those (literally!) fantasy lovers who have made the name “NirmaLand” viral. I mean, seriously let alone be it to be called a “Land” of its own, being here will make you feel like in any local institution (At a times, one must be tempted to feel that even the other colleges would have been a better option than this one). Some sections (no proper response is something which I won’t mention, because that will already look wearisome by now.) It is a sheer waste of time.
14. Also, adding to the endless agony, some good professors brag about our dearest alumni, Mr. Pranav Mistry. But no one ever mentions what made him unique, what projects he did, how he did them? Which confirms, professors, for most of the times, have no idea what a student is working on. At most, they would know the overview. Every University has a right to take credit of their alumni, but that is the case when the alumni himself believes that the university has in some way helped him. Has he himself really mentioned to anyone that he is a Nirma Institute alumni? Does he really cares where he did his B.Tech. from? Has he ever spoken of how the institute contributed in making him a better innovator? Even the best minds need guidance to become great. Does institute have someone of that level? Or have they lost hope that institute will not find the best minds?! We all could have taken admission to government colleges, but we choose Institute called Nirma, because we thought it would actually add value to us. I am sorry to say this, but except for the part where we get praises from relatives, I do not see any value added to me! Though I did made a few good friends, and I am grateful for that.
15. The institution has several other issues to deal with but management is one of the things that needs to be changed before its hard earned reputation goes to the dogs. But as long as people continue to sway in being a part of the crowd, nothing is truly going to happen. A Misconception, that it is a very good institute. No. It is not.
Considering the above facts, it is becoming more and more apparent that it has become a numbers game. Clearly, the quality has been significantly compromised. It’s No To Nirma for sure. Really feel sorry for parents to have them drained out of money for this piece of shit. From now onwards, will refuse to let not this stupid institute ruin my talent and creativity, be it in any sphere. Seriously think taking a drop would have been a much better option than to take up studying in this institute. Rules are meant to guide students, not make their student life experience a bitter one.
A history of people who were absent, and plans that did not come to pass. But you the institution; I preferred you over my passion. Clearly shows, my passion is strong enough. But remember one thing, free speech is so last century. Today’s students want the right to be comfortable. Will come with big bang!
Life here is same as the above situation. It is as if there is no life beyond the atoms revolving around its nucleus. You are looked up to as a criminal if you have more interest/knowledge about a certain Shakespeare or any Cyber thing more than the interest/knowledge you have about the one-phase and three-phase generators. Because you don’t want to bore the rest of the World!
‘Saw his result? He scored more than me!’
‘You know mom how that works?’
‘Yaar! kitna padha?’
And the list goes on! There’s this I.T. Vocabulary that you would become a part of your day to day life. No matter if you are on a date or at someone’s funeral, the dynamics of motion and the force-couple system is sure to haunt the people around you!
ever heard of this? A school is as good as it students!
It’s not your, it’s about my standards.
After all this, let me add where Institute actually scores since desirability this (almost!) article to remain balanced. Purely exploitative in nature. It has got a very good library. By very good, sincerely mean very good. The day when books start judging us by our faces not far away!
For a extra Gyani note: If you are capable, and smart enough, you can shine through. Studying in a premier institute doesn’t even important. I am not bragging or boasting about it, but I am telling this because your grades and packages don’t define what you are and what your passion is, which is always with you. Not forcefully!
Not a big time follower of Shakespeare but remembered one thing which he said “What’s in a name?” well said man, well said!
I apologize for such a long post I have to speak through heart out loud. For the one to fight for the right thing because I have the guts to do it. Well, I can see how cheap your thoughts are to judge me from my this post habits! Keep going at least people have got some time to think/judging about me!
Creativity in me making sure you somehow spend your not-so-valuable time on reading this lame attempt at writing a post when there’s nothing to share about because i’m too busy thinking about my future that my present is blissfully blank and I don’t give a damn about it either.
N.B. Sorry but this shit happens when you’re so darn excited that even any of the weekday starts having an identity crisis.